User Tag List

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My perspective on the remake

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Freddy was a BLATANT child molester. It’s all subtext in the original film for a reason. The fan is able to have a personal opinion on Freddy. I for one never envisioned Freddy as a pedophile. Freddy has always been an anti-hero, hero for me, why in the world would I want my hero to be a pedophile? How could I justify exposing my children to my love of Freddy is he’s a child molester. It’s sick and turns my stomach, completely ridiculous. I can’t believe Bob Shaye pushed this garbage out, it doesn't make sense. I felt like I just watched everything I love blasphemously raped in front of me for a quick financial gain. So, all in all I STILL despise this film, probably NOW more than EVER.

I’d like to hear your perspective, WHY do you love or hate this film?[/QUOTE]

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I liked the remake for what it was. I hate to break it to you, but there is a very good chance that your children will think the original movies are silly as I typically don't like the scary movies my parents watched when they were younger. This movie was made for the teenagers of today which is why it's so different. I'm not trying to pick a fight with you but I'm a father myself and I just can't wrap my mind around the justification that it's ok to expose children to a movie about a child murderer but not a pedophile. Both are horrible. I'm a big fan of horror of all types and have been since I was a young child. I guess where I differ though is that I've never viewed the slashers as heroes or anti-heroes for that matter as they are typically killing innocent people (unless you consider sex, drugs, etc. a crime punishable by death). Dexter is about the only real exception. Maybe someone that knows for sure can chime in here, but I highly doubt that Craven ever intended on the audience liking Freddy in a manner that he becomes an anti-hero or hero since he based the character on bad experiences from his childhood.

I also can't help but feel that for the most part, the hardcore community typically make up their mind about remakes before even seeing them. That goes for all remakes but especially this one. I'm going out on a limb here for sure but I would almost bet anything on the fact that most that hate this movie immediately decided to do so when they heard Robert wasn't going to be Freddy. It's hard to enjoy a movie in the slightest if you've already made your mind up. Just my opinion and I could be way off, but it seems that a lot of people worry about losing cred or something when it comes to opinions on remakes and liking someone other than Robert could be the ultimate loss of cred. We are all here because of Robert's portrayal of our favorite burned guy so I can kind of understand that. I know I'm in the minority on this subject but I just don't see how a bad remake (and I don't think this one is bad) rapes or ruins the originals. Never watch it again if you truly feel that way but I just laugh when people react as if their original movies have all been stolen in the night or literally set on fire.
    Last edited by jarrett62960; 04-23-2014 at 06:37 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jarrett62960 For This Useful Post:

cisco (04-23-2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby Chaos View Post
    Freddy was a BLATANT child molester. It’s all subtext in the original film for a reason. The fan is able to have a personal opinion on Freddy. I for one never envisioned Freddy as a pedophile. Freddy has always been an anti-hero, hero for me, why in the world would I want my hero to be a pedophile? How could I justify exposing my children to my love of Freddy is he’s a child molester. It’s sick and turns my stomach, completely ridiculous.
    Yeah, but the subtext is still there. Even if the film didn't show him diddling little kids, it's there. Even when I was very young (born in '83 watched Nightmare 1 when I was 6 or 7) I figured Freddy Krueger was a molestor.

And even if he wasn't a pedophile, he was still a murderer of children in life and resurrected as a brutal serial killer. How could you "justify exposing your children to your love of Freddy" still?

"Why would I want my hero to be a pedophile?" Well... why would you want your hero to be a child murderer?

This is part of what creeps me out about a lot of Freddy fans, or serious "Fred-Heads" (Not Nightmare fans, there's a difference) They obsess over and worship a molestor/child killer and get all up in arms when you mention the fact.

"Freddy Krueger is just a fictional character," They'll argue. Well, yeah, but in the reality of the fiction, his character kills kids and in all likelihood sexually abused them.

Like, I had a a ton of Freddy toys and posters and shirts and products all over my room when I was around 9 or 10. It didn't hit me until much later how disturbing that was. It's like having a pictures and shirts of John Wayne Gacey or whatever.

EDIT: Sorry about the necropost. Was looking at several threads in different tabs. Forgot how old this one was.
    Last edited by jonc; 08-23-2015 at 06:49 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, it's really nothing like that at all. Gacy was a real piece of shit. If you have posters of him hanging around your room, then you have some real problems. The reason why it's okay to celebrate characters like Freddy, Jason, Michael, et al is because they're not real. It's theater. No one's really being killed. No harm, no foul. Saying it's not okay to enjoy the works of our favorite slashers is basically shitting on the horror genre altogether.

And btw, not only was Freddy never shown "diddling little kids," but it was something that was never even mentioned. Hence, Freddy was not a pedo. You can offer conjecture and scream subtext as much as you want, but those are the facts.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You misunderstand. I'm not shitting on the slasher genre or saying it's bad to enjoy them or their characters. The first live action move I ever saw was Friday the 13th part 3 on VHS when I was 4 1/2 years old. I love the slasher genre.

What I'm talking about is the hero worship of the Slashers themselves. In this case Freddy Krueger. "Freddy Krueger is my hero!" Really? A child murderer is your hero? Look, Freddy is a great character with a great hook put into some good, and usually fun & silly, slasher movies. But he's a child murdering serial killer. That's who his character is. I would never say "Freddy Krueger is my hero! I LOVE Freddy!" No way. He's a powerfully dark, evil, sinister, vile, despicable character which is one of the reason's why he's a great villainous character. Not a hero.

Quote Originally Posted by jonc View Post
    "Freddy Krueger is just a fictional character," They'll argue. Well, yeah, but in the reality of the fiction, his character kills kids and in all likelihood sexually abused them.
    You seemed to have missed that ^^

When you watch a Nightmare movie, say Nightmare 1, do you constantly tell yourself "because they're not real. It's theater. No one's really being killed. No harm, no foul." when you see Tina come to life in the body bag? No, you don't. You react with horror. It's fucking disturbing and haunting because in the reality of the fiction Nancy is actually experiencing the psychological torment from vengeful child murderer.

It's kind of hilarious to me when Fred-Heads cry about "It's fiction! He's not real!" when people tell them their hero is a child murderer. But the same people get all pissed off and freak right the fuck out when someone calls Freddy a pedophile. Well, if it's not real and purely fiction what's the problem. You can love an imaginary child murderer, but not an imaginary pedophile. That's where you draw the line. "Freddy can slice up and slash as many little boys and girls as he wants and I'll love him to bits. But he better keep their little panties and underoos on 'em while he does it!" Give me a break.

Again, I'm not talking about the prop collectors, or Hallowe'eners, or genre fans. I'm talking about the hardcore hero worshippers.
    Last edited by jonc; 08-23-2015 at 08:30 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I didn't miss it, I reinforced it. I don't have to constantly tell myself its not real because I'm an adult who can automatically differentiate make believe from reality. I believe it's a cornerstone of sanity.

You have to be careful with your terminology, as most of us here consider ourselves to be Fredheads. I wouldn't consider Freddy to be my "hero" though, and I would have to smh at anyone who would use that term seriously about anyone other than soldiers, police officers, firemen, paramedics, etc.

Making Freddy a pedophile would hit a little too close to home for some folks. Then the movie would stop being fun and just be sick and uncomfortable, just as the remake was. That's the difference between being a child killer and a child fucker in the movies. Wes was smart to leave it out of the film. Look what a legacy he built because of it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to KennyThaKilla For This Useful Post:

EIm ST (09-03-2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyThaKilla View Post
    Then the movie would stop being fun and just be sick and uncomfortable, just as the remake was.

And wouldn't this be the best compliment an Horror movie could get?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wrong kind of sick and uncomfortable.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to KennyThaKilla For This Useful Post:

EIm ST (09-03-2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't know they were right kinds and wrong kinds of sick and uncomfortable feeling in watching an horror movie.
    If an Horror movie almost made me want to turn off the TV as it was being too much uncomfortable, I guess you could you say "job well done".

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I wouldn't. There are some places you don't go. Pedophilia is one of them.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonc View Post
    You misunderstand. I'm not shitting on the slasher genre or saying it's bad to enjoy them or their characters. The first live action move I ever saw was Friday the 13th part 3 on VHS when I was 4 1/2 years old. I love the slasher genre.

What I'm talking about is the hero worship of the Slashers themselves. In this case Freddy Krueger. "Freddy Krueger is my hero!" Really? A child murderer is your hero? Look, Freddy is a great character with a great hook put into some good, and usually fun & silly, slasher movies. But he's a child murdering serial killer. That's who his character is. I would never say "Freddy Krueger is my hero! I LOVE Freddy!" No way. He's a powerfully dark, evil, sinister, vile, despicable character which is one of the reason's why he's a great villainous character. Not a hero.

You seemed to have missed that ^^

When you watch a Nightmare movie, say Nightmare 1, do you constantly tell yourself "because they're not real. It's theater. No one's really being killed. No harm, no foul." when you see Tina come to life in the body bag? No, you don't. You react with horror. It's fucking disturbing and haunting because in the reality of the fiction Nancy is actually experiencing the psychological torment from vengeful child murderer.

It's kind of hilarious to me when Fred-Heads cry about "It's fiction! He's not real!" when people tell them their hero is a child murderer. But the same people get all pissed off and freak right the fuck out when someone calls Freddy a pedophile. Well, if it's not real and purely fiction what's the problem. You can love an imaginary child murderer, but not an imaginary pedophile. That's where you draw the line. "Freddy can slice up and slash as many little boys and girls as he wants and I'll love him to bits. But he better keep their little panties and underoos on 'em while he does it!" Give me a break.

Again, I'm not talking about the prop collectors, or Hallowe'eners, or genre fans. I'm talking about the hardcore hero worshippers.
    Who goes on a Freddy Krueger fan forum register then call hard core Fred heads sick. I've been a FRED HEAD since I was three I was Freddy for Halloween every year obviously I wasn't a twisted person when I'm a child I just always loved Freddy movies cause there better then any other horror movie.