User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Take on Freddy (or my "Re-Remake" Freddy)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Take on Freddy (or my "Re-Remake" Freddy)

Just started this a couple days ago. It's sort of like a "what if" or revisionist history version of A Nightmare on Elm Street's Krueger. A lot of folks just won't accept anybody other than Robert Englund as Fred Krueger. Going so far as to say Robert should have been the new Freddy in the 2010 remake. Personally, I thought Jackie did a fantastic job, considering what little he was given to work with.

But this did get me thinking, what if Wes Craven was a young, talented, fresh-out-of-film-school director with this crazy idea for a horror movie about a dream killer in 2010 and was lucky enough to get it made. And his casting director stumbled upon this fellow with an unforgettable face named Robert Englund. What would that Freddy Krueger look like? What would his story be?

During some downtime at work I did a quick sketch to get a rough idea of I kinda wanted the burn patterns to look like:

But I still want it to look like Robert, just a "cinematically realistic" burned Robert. So once I had his likeness pretty much roughed out in the sculpt, I started burning him. Burned skin is really tough. There are three different textures for burned skin I've found when look at reference photos of burn victims and blending them into one another in a way that's believable is challenging.

The right half of his face and head is going to be the most severely burned. Where skin is charred, smeared, pocked with sores and inflamed skin. The right side of the head and neck is going to be covered with a fresh skin graft. I plan on sculpting the skin graft netting or webbing separately and applying it over the damaged skin for a more realistic look. There will also be huge 2nd degree burn blisters that will also be added. I want them to be filled with silicone gel so they look and feel super gross.

The area around his nose and mouth will be blackened from smoke inhalation. I think that'll give it a cool, freaky look.

Anyway here are a few crappy cell pics of where I'm currently at. Still a lot of work to do. I bumped up the contrast a to to better show the details.

You can see in this one I started sculpting the skin graft in, before I decided it would look cooler if it was laid over it as if it were an appliance.

Still a ton of work to do on the back of the head.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jonc For This Useful Post:

Gorefan456 (09-26-2015),nowonmai (09-24-2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks pretty sweet! Not quite getting the skin graft though. If he dies in the fire why would there be a skin graft?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nowonmai For This Useful Post:

jonc (09-24-2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude, insane idea! I love original concept work, projecting original ideas onto a classic character is very interesting. Keep us updated man! I do agree with Nowonmai about the skin grafts, assuming you're following the traditional origin story of freddy being killed and having his remains hidden, there's no reason why he'd have skin grafts. Despite this, top job man

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gorefan456 For This Useful Post:

jonc (09-24-2015),Skullbeast (09-07-2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well in my idea, after the vengeful mob sets Fred ablaze then-deputy, Don (father of Nancy) tracks the location down. He sees this madness unfolding and forcefully disperses the crowd while ambulances rush in to save Krueger, hurrying him to the hospital. Don and the rest of PD at the scene, of course, neglect to tell anybody about the attempted murder that just occurred. This was all an "accident". The docs make quick work of trying to save him. Of course, nobody expects Fred to make it, he's burned so severely and his lungs are a wreck from heat and smoke.

But surprisingly, he starts to stabilize. Now people are nervous. Not only is this monster off scot free from the murder and possible molestation of their children, but now he could eventually put them all away for attempted murder should he survive. The "town elders," so to speak, get together and agree that Krueger must die (Don, of course, reluctantly agrees but he isn't happy about it. "You want this animal walking the streets when your daughter is born?" they tell him) They have Krueger euthanized and he dies in the hospital. His body is donated to science, like a forensics body farm or something like that.

Cut to 16 years later, Nancy is a Junior in high school. And the rest of the story unfolds from there.

With this version, I think there are a few more interesting layers. The relationship between Nancy, Freddy, and Don is more complex. Freddy is still terrorizing the children of the town to pay for his murder, but also for everyone to know the truth. And the key to that is Don. Going after his daughter so that he breaks. Everyone in the town is shielded by unfathomable denial and repression. But Don? Don has been plagued with guilt and shame. And for the past 16 years he's shouldered that in silence. It's still Nancy's story, but this all sets the table for her.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jonc For This Useful Post:

FurnaceFreak (09-26-2015),Gorefan456 (09-26-2015),kingbacardi (09-27-2015),nowonmai (09-25-2015),swigglydiggly (02-10-2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonc View Post
    Well in my idea, after the vengeful mob sets Fred ablaze then-deputy, Don (father of Nancy) tracks the location down. He sees this madness unfolding and forcefully disperses the crowd while ambulances rush in to save Krueger, hurrying him to the hospital. Don and the rest of PD at the scene, of course, neglect to tell anybody about the attempted murder that just occurred. This was all an "accident". The docs make quick work of trying to save him. Of course, nobody expects Fred to make it, he's burned so severely and his lungs are a wreck from heat and smoke.

But surprisingly, he starts to stabilize. Now people are nervous. Not only is this monster off scot free from the murder and possible molestation of their children, but now he could eventually put them all away for attempted murder should he survive. The "town elders," so to speak, get together and agree that Krueger must die (Don, of course, reluctantly agrees but he isn't happy about it. "You want this animal walking the streets when your daughter is born?" they tell him) They have Krueger euthanized and he dies in the hospital. His body is donated to science, like a forensics body farm or something like that.

Cut to 16 years later, Nancy is a Junior in high school. And the rest of the story unfolds from there.

With this version, I think there are a few more interesting layers. The relationship between Nancy, Freddy, and Don is more complex. Freddy is still terrorizing the children of the town to pay for his murder, but also for everyone to know the truth. And the key to that is Don. Going after his daughter so that he breaks. Everyone in the town is shielded by unfathomable denial and repression. But Don? Don has been plagued with guilt and shame. And for the past 16 years he's shouldered that in silence. It's still Nancy's story, but this all sets the table for her.
    Somebody call New Line, this man's got a hit on his hands!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nowonmai For This Useful Post:

freddyphile1428 (09-24-2015),jonc (09-24-2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha that's bloody amazing! And the backstory rocks!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to barkmckowski For This Useful Post:

jonc (09-24-2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bloody oath man, Unreal backstory! Are you going to write a full script/ story following this concept? Also, any updates on the sculpture?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Gorefan456 For This Useful Post:

jonc (09-25-2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorefan456 View Post
    Bloody oath man, Unreal backstory! Are you going to write a full script/ story following this concept? Also, any updates on the sculpture?
    Ha! No, no plans for a script. Thinking about that stuff just helps me better figure out stuff during the sculpting process.

Not much more work since. I did most of the groundwork the first couple days. Now I'm just taking my time.

I did start roughing out some vascular burn scarring around the neck and chest today:

I've got some time before Halloween, so I'm not in a huge rush to finish the mask. But it should be done in the next couple weeks.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jonc For This Useful Post:

nowonmai (09-25-2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha fair enough! Totally man, it's awesome that you're considering/ giving reason for different aspects of the design. That's bloody neat, it's gonna like brutal af I can tell

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriously this is amazing and very insightful work going on here. This is like a Robert/Jackie blend, and your take on a new backstory is terrific. I like the way your ideas help to evolve your sculpt. Please keep us posted! Sweet work.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to FurnaceFreak For This Useful Post:

jonc (09-26-2015)