Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welshchris's Part 1/2 build

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welshchris's Part 1/2 build

Ok made some more progress, had some trouble with my solder again, think its down to not being clean enough or enough flux and parts not fitting tight enough!.
    I sanded the cooper and stainless then further sanding with wet and dry, cleaned with acetone and plenty of flux, I also found I wasn't getting enough heat as the solder melts at around 630 degrees Celsius (1166 Fahrenheit), I positioned my map gas underneath the piece and heated it near the solder point from above with propane, this got both metals near 'cherry red' to help the silver solder become liquid!.
    The solder I'm using is not plumbers silver solder by the way, which only contains around 2% silver, I'm using jewelers 55% silver, the join is as strong as a weld, the metal bends before the solder will break, super strong bond and looks great!
    I have some double cap rivets but have been experimenting with my own 'hand peened' solid brass rivets and they are super strong and very 'permanent'!.
    Anyway, here is another 'test piece I have done!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by welshchris77; 12-12-2016 at 03:32 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DSC_1503.jpgDSC_1505.jpgDSC_1506.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I also lightly sanded my solder and fluxed that too!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For your first it looks good, though it's not so much a Part 1, it looks more like a Part 3 once you start shaping your pieces, be sure to do it with the glove in pieces, then once you're ready to test the mobility, clamp the rivets down enough so you can either pop them out or cut them off again so you can tweak what you need to, the colours are really great and annealing your copper makes it a lot easier to shape

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ranshiiekrueger84 View Post
    For your first it looks good, though it's not so much a Part 1, it looks more like a Part 3 once you start shaping your pieces, be sure to do it with the glove in pieces, then once you're ready to test the mobility, clamp the rivets down enough so you can either pop them out or cut them off again so you can tweak what you need to, the colours are really great and annealing your copper makes it a lot easier to shape
    Thanks man, the person who gave me the templates told me they were part1/2, had to slightly widen them though to take my finger size, also the blade on this is very thick as I cut it out from a cheap chef knife from a Euro (dollar) store, is this what makes it look more like a part 3 glove or the shape of the finger stall?
    Last edited by welshchris77; 12-13-2016 at 02:25 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoever gave you those templates aren't exactly right, there's also a lot more shaping to the Part 1, it's not sleek, everything is bent up, here are some old Becker templates that are better, remember when you build it, the armature sits on top of your hand, the pinkie stall and tip need to be altered, the stall needs to be a bit shorter and the tip's hole placement needs to also be fixed, remember that mobility changes once the whole thing is together
    15403838_798958353593517_818153676891481389_o.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ranshiiekrueger84 For This Useful Post:

welshchris77 (12-15-2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks close enough to Part 1/2 IMO. If you're not going for "very accurate" look, yours is a part 1/2 in general, like the basic version...you know what i'm saying? Not even close to part 3 IMO. Part 3 stalls are a lot shorter than yours. Maybe just need to work on the bends and make it skinnier. The thickness of the copper you're using is also important and it affects the overall shape. So far looks good to me. Just continue giving us progress of your build, we love to see that

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CerealKiller For This Useful Post:

welshchris77 (12-15-2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the stalls need to be longer for the Part 1, his are shorter

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input guys, its so good to reach out to a group like this for advice!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that's true too