User Tag List

Thread: WFX Fraud / Paypal Advice

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WFX Fraud / Paypal Advice

I just wanted to post about an experience I had so that it may help any newcomers looking to purchase masks and other items for their Freddy costumes/displays, especially from independent artists. I decided to put together a Freddy costume for Halloween 2016 and found this forum to be a tremendous resource for a newcomer like me. In addition, most of the experiences I've had with many of the artists/sellers mentioned in these forums were great and the communication/customer service was excellent. However, I certainly learned the hard way with an order I put in with WFX/Brian Wright/Creature Lab.

I decided to order the freddy silicone sleeve from WFX 1-2 months before Halloween. I ordered from the website rather than ebay because I was interested in a custom paint job to match my dark ride mask. I exchanged a few emails for updates throughout October to make sure it would arrive in time for Halloween. I received an email about a week before that it was ready to be shipped out and he would send some pictures in the mean time. I never received any pictures nor did I receive a tracking number/shipping confirmation. Halloween came and went and I never received my order. Since it is a busy time for most artists, I gave him the benefit of the doubt and waited another week or two for my order to arrive, but it did not. I then made many attempts to contact him about my order but never received any responses. Eventually I decided to make a case with Paypal purchase protection so that I could at least receive my refund. Within a day of creating my case, I received this response:

"We recently received a notification from PayPal that you have filed a dispute with us. Were you not happy with your order? It is always best to contact us directly when there is a problem. This was something you ordered back in October from our records. We certainly hope this isn't an attempt at a scam as many have tried to do with us. Being that you are located in the United States, we doubt that, but it happens often. Please get back with us as soon as possible to let us know what the problem is. Brian Wright WFX

I responded to him, explaining the situation that I had no choice but to request a refund because I had not received any responses. Within a day, I received another response from him.

I'm not sure how something like that could have happened. And I do apologize. Things like this don't happen very often at all. I'm assuming yours must have somehow gotten lost in the mail, which has never happened with us either. Let us send you a replacement glove and include a free chest of souls latex piece which is a value of $220 alone for the chest. With this sound all right to you? Again, our apologies. Brian Wright WFX

Based on all of my other positive experiences, I decided to again give him the benefit of the doubt and agreed on this compromise. He then quickly responded with

If you could go ahead and close the dispute, we will get your order started for you. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience. Brian Wright WFX

I went ahead and closed the dispute, which was a mistake. As you can guess, after a few emails about the status of my order I no longer received any responses from him. After calling Paypal to discuss my options, I was informed by a representative that once a dispute is opened, it should not be closed until the order is received to the customer's satisfaction. Once a dispute is closed, they do not have any ability to secure a refund. They suggested that I contact my credit card company for purchase protection, and a representative told me that since it was purchased through paypal, they were the responsible party. With both companies putting the responsibility on the other, there was no way to secure a refund.

I have seen some recent posts about WFX closing the website and customers wondering about their purchases. I urge anyone who is in a situation similar to mine that they do not wait to secure a refund. And again, if you open a paypal case, do not close it until you are satisfied one way or another.

I do not wish to discourage anyone from dealing with independent artists as like I said, most of my experiences have been great. But for any newcomers, I hope this will help them as they look to create the awesome costumes and displays that are posted on this forum.

IMG_5168.jpg

IMG_5147.jpg

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi i am a victim of Brian from wfx i never received 2 masks and glove from him and he ignored me once it went over the time my credit card company couldn't do anything and PayPal could not help i have the transcript to prove this happened and would like to share everything on the forum

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im not sure if you guys have looked on other forums, but I believe there is a bunch of articles/threads etc regarding his business practices on the RPF. There are dozens of complaints against WFX. Im sorry this has happened to you. It gives a bad rap to all the great honest artists out there. I myself take no money until a clients actual piece is approved and has a tracking number. From that point I request payment. If the shipping method says 3 days, then you should have it in 3 days. Not a month etc. this way i give my customers peace of mind knowing they are fully protected by paypal dispute process. I wish more artist/companies did this. I read stories like this constantly and it really is terrible for the ones who get screwed. And its always the same excuses. Medical issues, lost in mail etc. there are ways to persuade a person to refund you after the paypal time limits are up or in a case like yours. A call to that persons local police dept works very well. And of course you have their Facebook or any social media platform they use. I wouldn’t call them a thief right away, but you can constantly ask where your items are and its been whatever amount of time. People who were given a tracking number that showed nothing have contacted the carrier to start investigating. I noticed the people who spend a little time doing this are normally the ones who get refunds. The ones who sit back and only post on a forum get nowhere. And im not saying thats ehat you are doing. I wish you both luck and hope you have a favorable resolution

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Customrelic For This Useful Post:

Forevergrey (05-01-2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just like customrelic, I dont take money on a Chewbacca comission unless I need materials and it is a big job. Otherwise, the client gets to see progress pics and then gets asked for payment once its ready to ship. I communicate first. I wish more sellers are like this, but it so happens that they are quick to scoop up your money and deliver whenever they want past the estimated time if they even deliver at all.
    Ive only had a couple bad experiences with a seller. One, I just filed a paypal dispute to get refunded and the other, I had to do my own investigative work and track him down through etsy, facebook, and personal email. I eventually got my item after holding on to payment for a hotel room I was gonna share with him for DragonCon. I only send paypal goods and services now on to have the piece of mind. No more sending with friends and family because you wont have recourse with that.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if Darkride and WFX can't be trusted who am I supposed to get a good mask from?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Realfleshmasks.com. I purchased one from them last year. Looks great! I’m thinking about selling it.